You know professional photos are essential in getting your home noticed. But it takes more than an excellent photographer and good editing skills. Scheduling your photos at the right time and preparing your home to look its best is equally important.
Here are our tips to prepare for listing photos:
- Clean – Professional photographers use equipment that will pick up on dirt and grime. Clean the entire interior and exterior of the home.
- Meet with a Home Stager – This will help you arrange furniture to highlight the best features of the home. A professional eye is helpful in getting ready for pictures.
- Clear out all personal items – This includes putting away all holiday and seasonal decorations. This step may include more than you may think, so we’ve broken it down to individual rooms.
- Kitchen – Take everything off the counters, including the coffee maker, knife block, toaster, and dish rack.
- Bathrooms – Remove all bathroom products such as shampoo, conditioner, soap, toothbrushes, and razors. Take away floor mats, robes, and used towels.
- Living Room and Bedrooms – Put away personal items such as pictures, phones and tablets (and their charging cords), books, magazines, and mail. Also remove any toys or pet items.
- Exterior – Put away any yard tools, toys, bikes, water hoses, and trash cans.
- Decorative Features – A well placed vase of fresh flowers or colorful throw pillow can tie a room together. Be careful not to overdo this step, especially after you just decluttered each room.
- Final preparations – Before the photographer arrives, make sure all screens are turned off, lights are on (lightbulbs should be the same brightness), fans are turned off, and any children and pets are out of the house. Also, open curtains and clear cars from driveway.
Doing this work will get you the best results for your listing photos. It will also set you up for your first open house and listing appointments.